How and why did God create us?
God created us male and female in his own image to glorify him.
“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.”
Outline for lesson 4
- Open in prayer. Review last weeks question and answer.
- Activity: Supplies needed: paper, crayons and or markers. Ask the children to pick an adult to pose as a model. Ask the children to create a Minecraft avatar or Lego character based on the adult model. After completing the drawings hang them up and introduce question 4. Let them know that today is all about the creation of men and women, boys and girls. Remind them of their avatar image and tell them that when God created men and women, he made them in his images, to be like him.
- Read Genesis 1:26-27. After reading the verses ask them these question,
- Out of everything God made, what was created in his image? ( human beings)
- What does created in God’s image mean? (we are able to be similar in character)
- Does the Bible say anything else was created in his image? (no)
Tell them that we are not statues but, we were made in God’s image and likeness of him, to represent him and his rule on earth. Humans were given the authority by God to rule over all the earth. We are the pinnacle or crown of God’s creation, we were made on purpose. We are not accidents.
Created in God’s likeness or image means we can be like God in character. We are called to reflect his image in our lives. Some character qualities: creative, communicative, relational, loving, etc. if you have time and want to instill this more go to other passages in the Bible that say more about God’s character. Also, if you can recognize a godly character in each of your children, tell them what character quality you see in them.
Our existence is about showing God’s existence and about giving him glory. Ask, what do you think it means to glorify God? (it’s to acknowledge God as creator, all powerful and perfect and then live our lives praising him.
- Finish the teaching time by helping children memorize question 4, answer and verse.
Extra Activity: Human Body
Use the body outline provided (below). Ask children to write or draw all the ways that humans are different from the rest of God’s created beings. Have them fill in the body with words or drawings that describe or show the differences.This activity shows how God made humans that are distinct for the rest of God’s creation. He made two different genders, Male and Female. God made men and women, we live in his creation and he made us equal but different.