Is there any way to escape punishment and be brought back into God’s favor?
Yes, God reconciles us to Himself by a Redeemer.
“This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through Him.” – 1 John 4:9
Help children understand that there is a clear way back into God’s favor through Jesus our redeemer. God brings people into a right relationship with Him through Jesus.
Outline for lesson
- Open in prayer: Thank You for making a way to follow You through Jesus.
- Review Activity: Ask children to recite the questions and answers they know. Reward them if you can with a favorite dessert or small toy.
- Introduction: Ask the below questions. Word the questions appropriately for children’s ages.
What would it be like to be sentenced to death and placed on death row to wait execution?
( We would be frightened)
How would you feel if at the last minute someone said they would take your place so you would not have to die? ( We would feel happy, thankful, grateful)
Can you think of anyone that might do that?
Say:Today we are going to consider what it would take to free people from the punishment of sin and how we can receive favor from God. Introduce question and answer 19. Ask, Is there any way to escape punishment and receive God’s favor?
Activity: Pretend to be a TV news reporter and and tell the story of the Servant who came to earth to redeem and save. Explain how prophecy helps us understand God’s plan to save his people.
- Read: Isaiah 53:10-11. After reading look over chapter 53. Ask, who do they think this chapter is talking about? Was this written before or after Jesus was born?
- Discuss Questions:
Why did Jesus have to die?
How did Isaiah know about Jesus’ life and death?
Ask them to explain God’s plan to you.
Ask if this is something they have done or would they like you to help lead them in this decision?
- Recite: practice memorizing question and answer to lesson 19.