What is sin?
Sin is rejecting or ignoring God in the world he created, not being or doing what he requires in his law.
“Everyone who makes a practice of sinning also practices lawlessness; sin is lawlessness.” – 1 John 3:4
Help children understand what sin is and how it affects their relationship with God.
Outline for lesson
- Open in prayer: You are our loving God, please forgive me of sinning against You. Thank You for sending Jesus to wash my sins away.
- Review Activity: Write questions 1 – 15 on separate sticky notes in one color and the answers on another colored sticky note. Place them on a wall randomly and have children match the correct questions to the answers. Time them if they want to see how fast they can match the questions and answers.
- Introduction: Define and give an examples of lawlessness. Ask older kids if they know of any lawlessness going on in the world right now. If they cannot come up with any lawlessness help them with some examples. Introduce question 16. Explain that in today’s Bible verses that God describes lawlessness as sin.
- Activity: Place two pieces of masking tape on the floor parallel to each other. For everyone to stand behind and one will be a line of tape just a bit beyond what the children and adults can jump. One taped line everyone will stand on and try to jump to the other line one at a time. Write Romans 3:23 on the line of tape that they are trying to. After everyone has jumped, look up Romans 3:23 and read it. Tell the children when the Bible talks about sin as lawlessness it is talking about us keeping God’s law. No matter how hard we tried to jump on the line we kept falling short, just like Romans 3:23 says about us.
Ask: What does Romans 3:23 mean? We have all sinned and fall short of God’s standards. (Problem)
What is the answer / solution to the problem? Jesus came to take away our sin if we ask for forgiveness.
Have you asked repented of your Sin and asked Jesus for forgiveness?
Is your life glorifying to God?
If ready lead children in a prayer of acknowledging who God is, accepting His free gift, and confessing their short comings and sins.
- Read: 1 John 3:4 -10. These verses describe how sin is breaking god’s law and tells the reader the solution to sin. Ask them who is the solution to our problem?.
- Activity: Share your testimony with your family. Help children memorize Q & A 16.