What does God require in the fourth and fifth commandments?
Fourth, that on the Sabbath day we spend time in worship of God. Fifth, that we love and honor our father and our mother.
“Every one of you shall revere his mother and father, and you shall keep my Sabbaths: I am the Lord your God.” – Leviticus 19:3
Outline for lesson
- Open in Prayer: Praise God for being good. Thank Him for taking care of His people. Ask to find joy in His commandments
- Review Activity: Prep: Place a small toy or candy into 9 separate lunch bags. Also put in a catechism question 1 -9 into each bag with the toy or candy. Fold top of bags and staple shut. Place the bags in a circle on the ground.
How to play game: ( it’s a version of musical chairs) children will stand by a bag. As the music starts they will go around the circle of bags until the music stops. They will pick up the bag that they were standing by when the music stopped. Let them open the bag and read the question. If they know the answer they get to keep the treat in the bag. Play until all bags are opened.
- Intro: Explain that parents and children are a part of our lesson today. Older children may enjoy the code breaker on our resource page. Younger children my want to match up parents and children.
- Belle and Maurice (Beauty and the Beast)
- Nemo and Marlin (Finding Nemo)
- Elsa and King Agnarr (Frozen)
- Simba and Mufasa ( The Lion King)
- Invisigirl and Elastigirl ( The Incredibles)
- Read: question and answer 10. Ask them what they think honoring their father and mother means. Is honoring hard or easy? Now that we have experienced God’s love it helps us honor our parents. What does honoring look like now? What will it look like when they are older?
- Read: Exodus 20:1-17. Ask, What does the Sabbath mean? Answer, The Sabbath is a day that God set apart for worship and rest. Why do they think the word remember is in the Ten Commandments? Answer: Sometimes we forget to rest and spend focused time with God. Ask, Why do you think God asked us to take a Sabbath rest? Think about why God made this one of the ten commandments. Work and rest is included in the best pattern for life. God knows how important it is for people to have spiritual rest and physical rest.
Main Idea: God gave us His commands for the good of His people.