Why must the Redeemer be truly human?
That in human nature He might on our behalf perfectly obey the whole law and suffer the punishment for human sin.
“Therefore He had to be made like his brothers in every respect, so that He might become a merciful and faithful high priest in the service of God, to make propitiation for the sins of the people.” – Hebrews 2:17
Main Idea: Help children understand that only a fully human Redeemer could fully satisfy God’s just demands. Jesus as a substitute sacrifice for us had to be human.
Outline for lesson
- Open in prayer: Thank You for sending Your Son Jesus to live as a perfect man so that I could be redeemed from sin and death. Thank You for loving me so much.
- Review Activity: Everyone sit in a circle. Place a small ball in someone’s hand, this person will say the first word of question 21. After saying the first word he will hand it to the person on his right and they will say the second word. Continue passing the ball to the right until the question and answer is complete.
Jesus had to truly be human in order to bring other humans back into relationship with God. Ask the following questions:
*How did you get here? Born
*After being a baby did you grow from baby to toddler to child? Yes
*Who takes care of you? Your parents or guardian
*What do you do when you are really sad? Cry
*How do you feel when you haven’t eaten for a long time? Hungry
These are things we all experience as humans.Jesus being fully human also was born. He was taken care of by his parents. They fed him and when he was very sad he cried. Then his earthly life ended when he died. Introduce the question and answer. Spend time explaining the answer.
- Activity: Download Q22 Body Bingo. Give each child a marker. Write in different body parts in each space. Play bingo. Shout body bingo when someone wins. Remind children that Jesus was fully human and had the same body parts as we do.
- Read: Hebrew 2:5-18. These verses describe why Jesus had to be fully human. But, there is one BIG difference about Jesus. Do you know what it is?
Who was the first man? Who is every person descended from? Who introduced sin Into this world? Adam. Adam was created with the ability to perfectly keep God’s law. But, he rebelled against God.That is how sin and death entered this world. Jesus was sinless. He gave life to all people and gives eternal life. He is Lord over all. Jesus was fully human and fully God.
- Ask: Did Jesus become less God when He lived on earth? No, He chose to lay aside his heavenly glory when He came to earth. He submitted Himself fully to the will of God the Father.
- Recite: practice memorizing question and answer to lesson 22.